14 May 2013

Some Of The Reasons Behind My Complete Lack Of Musical Talent

I've always been surrounded by music and on the whole, I've only been a consumer of it. We always had two radios on in Kent Street, usually both on Galaxy 101, though my first real music awakening was watching Keith Flint flaying about in the video to Firestarter on TOTP.

My mum bought me a guitar when I was 15, which I barely played and LC gave me a bass guitar at uni, which I never played.

The closest I got was messing around with Dance eJay 3 and the in-built sound files of Windows 98, followed by cack-handed attempts to make ambient electronica with a cracked version of Fruity Loops and demo drum machines and basic synths; it somehow always ended up as banging techno. I think the files are still on a tower PC in my grandparents' spare bedroom in Falmouth.

I've always had a passion for music but because I hadn't picked up an instrument by Year 7, Mrs. Murphy, my music teacher in high school, didn't bother with me or anyone else in my predicament. That's not to lay the blame solely at her door; there's nothing stopping me getting back into it, apart from my apathy... and complete lack of original ideas, but if I had someone like Mr Price-Thomas or Mr Hopkin, who were brilliant Physics and Maths teachers respectively, doing Music at my school, I might have stuck it out or at least picked up music-making software a lot earlier.

If I'm honest, I would've learned a lot more and been more inspired if my school had just played this to me every lesson for three years...



Ha! And after five years of doing this, I've finally fallen to the adage that every music writer is a frustrated musician.

P.S. It's well worth following Now-Again Records on SoundCloud, their page is crammed with amazing music.