24 Jul 2011

Inappropriate Memory Soundtrack



Someone stuck up a post on theSprout the other day about the soundtrack to their life and asking for other readers' suggestions.

How could I resist?

After trying to shoehorn in as many cool tracks as possible, I remembered one track that helped to get me out of my second shittiest moment so far.

I'd dropped out of university after only three months in Manchester, I was skint, working in pub, all my mates were having great times elsewhere and I was living in Llantwit fucking Major.

But walking home for said pub in said town (which I eventually came round to, if not liking, then at least tolerating) after another spirit-sapping shift, I popped a tape of Rob Da Bank's latest Blue Room show in the Walkman (I used to tape a lot of late night Radio 1). My ears were hit with this ludicrously uplifting track. It was essentially fluff but it made me smile like I hadn't in months.

It was Dab Hands' remix of Lou Reed's Satellite of Love. I know what you're thinking. Plus One Loo was equally agog. How can anyone mess with Satellite of Love nay anything off Transformer? You'd find me in this camp too 99 out of 100 times. I can't explain it. I suppose it was a special coming together of time, temperament and tune.

I wish it was something ball-achingly cool but I guess sometimes you really can't choose your soundtrack.